If you are a college woman going through sorority recruitment, then chances are you will be nervous and have no idea what to talk about. But that is okay. We all want to make a good first impression, so just relax. I was nervous during my recruitment weekend but writing down my questions helped me keep the conversation going. The trick is to remember you are making a friend. Ask questions that you want to know about a friend.
Here are some questions that you can ask during recruitment.
Going through recruitment is about you finding your home and the best way to do that is by having all the answers to your questions and getting to know the women in each sorority on campus.
Questions About Sorority Life
- What can I gain from becoming a sorority woman?
- How do you balance sorority life on top of classes, work, internships, clubs, sports, etc.?
- What is the time commitment?
- What types of events do you host?
- When would I get a big?
Questions About Women in the Chapter
- What is your experience like being a sorority woman?
- Why did you join your sorority?
- Do you have sisters that are involved in other campus activities?
- What are some of your chapter sisters majoring in?
Questions About Community Engagement
- What is your philanthropy?
- What events or activities do you do to support your philanthropy?
- What kinds of service do you do in the community?
- How often do you participate in or host a service activity?
- Tell me about your favorite philanthropy or service activity.
Questions About Finances
- How much are dues for a new member?
- What is included with my dues?
- How are dues paid?
- When do dues need to be paid?
- How much are dues for an initiated member?
Questions About Academics
- How does your chapter support the academic goals of members?
- What academic help/resources do you have for members?
- Does your chapter offer any scholarship opportunities?
- Do you connect members with the same major?
Questions About Sorority Housing
- What kind of housing does your chapter offer members, if any?
- How many women live in the chapter facility?
- Where is it located?
- What is the process for living in the chapter facility? Am I required to live there and, if so, when?
- What amenities are offered to those who live in the chapter facility (e.g., house director, meal options, recreational activities, etc.)?
- (To someone who lives in or has lived in the chapter facility) What is the best part of living with your sorority sisters? What, if anything, surprised you?
- Are there any fees I will pay if I don’t live in the chapter facility?
- If there is not a chapter facility, where do you hold meetings or other gatherings?
One major tip when asking questions is to be confident. Don’t be afraid to ask something that you are truly curious about. Chances are, you might bond over the question that was asked.
Make sure you are ready for recruitment by learning more about the process here.
Written by Amanda Cruz